The front hall of the Fujian Assembly Hall in Hội An seen across its inner courtyard, a two-tier tiled roof with modelled dragons on the ridge, red lanterns and couplets flanking the open doorway, potted bonsai in the foreground.
PLACE · ASSEMBLY HALL

The Fujian Assembly Hall

46 Trần Phú street

A small riverside temple from 1697 grew, renovation after renovation, into the largest of Hội An's five Chinese assembly halls.

THE LEGENDLATE 17TH CENTURY

A Buddha Adrift

The story the town tells starts before there was a hall at all. A statue of the Buddha, so the story goes, drifted ashore along this stretch of riverbank, gilded enough that people nearby raised money to fell timber and build a small temple for it. They called it Kim Sơn Tự, the Golden Mountain Temple. The 1992 heritage-registration file that still describes the building repeats the same story, then asks, in its own margin, whether the tale has some root in the Cham people who lived here firstAS THE FILE ASKS ITSELFtruyền thuyết này phải chăng có liên quan đến người Chàm xưa?Lý lịch di tích Chùa Phước Kiến — Ban Quản lý Di tích Hội An, 1992.

Rain and sun wore the little temple down for decades, waiting for someone to take it over.

THE HALL IS BORN1697

A Sea Goddess Inland

In 1697, with Hội An's port trade at its height, merchants from Fujian arriving each trading season began settling for good. They bought the abandoned temple by the river and rebuilt it as their assembly hall, a place to meet as countrymen and to pray. Thiên Hậu, the Heavenly Mother, took the altar of the main sanctuary.

The chronicle they still read from records her as Lâm Mặc Nương of Bồ Điền county in Mân, present-day Fujian, born in the year 960 under the Song dynasty. After her death she was said to appear at sea and pull sailors from wrecks. The Song court granted her its first title in 1122. The Qing court's last addition to it came in 1839. The Nguyễn court in Việt Nam issued its own titles twice, in 1826 and again in 1850.

A wall painting inside the hall showing Thiên Hậu and an attendant walking on stormy waves toward a foundering wooden junk, viewed by a group of visitors.Photograph 2015 · RThiele · Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
Thiên Hậu walking the waves toward a foundering ship

A model junk about two metres long still stands near the altar. The hall's own tradition holds it is the boat Thiên Hậu used to reach the drowning. Its hull, though, follows the exact lines of the merchant junks Chinese traders sailed to get here in the first place.

A goddess of the open sea, given the grandest altar of the community, in a town built inland along a river.

REBUILT, RENAMED1757

From Thatch to Tile

The hall was still a thatched building by the river. In 1757 the Fujian bang paid to rebuild the whole structure in tile and renamed it the hall of the Mân Thương merchants. Two renovation steles still standing inside the hall today record that year under the Qing reign name, Qianlong dingchou.

The main entrance of the assembly hall, a gold-on-red horizontal plaque above the door reading the hall's name in Chinese characters, red vertical couplets framing the doorway on both sides.Photograph 2020 · Josh Ellis · goteamjosh.com
The hall's own name, carved above its front door

A roof beam in the rear hall carries the names of who built it: the bang's leader, its manager, its temple steward, its ship captains and its merchants, named together. The beam is dated by the reign name Long Phi, a name Ming loyalists overseas kept using long after their dynasty had fallen, rather than by any reign name of the Qing court that had just conquered their homeland. The Ming was gone. The name stayed.

Carved onto a beam that helped fund a hall built under Qing rule, that reign name reads as an act of memory as much as a date.

The Minh Hương community, descendants of earlier Ming refugees who had taken Vietnamese nationality generations before, kept a different name for the place. A votive plaque they donated in 1851 still calls it by its old name, the Kim Sơn shrineTHE 1851 PLAQUE金山廟重修誌慶 明鄉信善族仝奉供Vietnamese reading: Kim Sơn miếu trùng tu chí khánh — Minh Hương tín thiện tộc đồng phụng cung.蔣為文 (Chiung Wi-vun), 2015, tr. 144 — biển thờ năm Tự Đức 4 (1851) còn trong hội quán, nearly a century after the official rename.

ONE STELE, ONE PROOF1807

The Chợ Dinh Stele

A stele inside the hall records the repair of the Dinh market, dated to the sixth year of Gia Long, 1807. It names the men behind the work: bang leader Hứa Tân Phát, manager Hầu Hòa Lợi and graduate Nguyễn Cố Thịnh, with 51 signatures beneath them.

A side hall inside the assembly hall with tiled floor patterns, an ancestral altar bearing gilded couplets, an old bronze bell resting on a red stand in the foreground.Photograph 2018 · Christophe95 · Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
The east wing, home to the bang's ancestor tablets

The historian Chen Ching-Ho read this stele as the earliest firm evidence that Hội An's Chinese community already had an elected bang leader, years before the office was first named in the Nguyễn court's own chronicle.

A market repair, and it turns out to be the birth certificate of an entire system for governing a foreign community.

THE REAR HALL1849

Six Who Would Not Yield

In 1849 the hall added a rear sanctuary, the only one of its kind among Hội An's five Chinese halls. It holds the Lục Tánh Vương Gia, six lords honoured as guardians of the Fujian community.

The story the town tells goes back to the fall of the Ming. Six generals refused to submit when the Qing army conquered China in the seventeenth century, rose against it, and died in the fighting. People from Mân, their home province, carved statues and gave each one a name: Lord Khâm, Lord Trương, Lord Thuấn, Lord Chu, Lord Hoàng and Lord Thập Tam. A field survey carried out inside the hall and a study built from its own inscribed steles, done independently of each other, arrive at the same six names.

The Lục Tánh festival falls every year on the sixteenth day of the second lunar month, the largest of the hall's year, drawing visitors from Đà Nẵng, Tam Kỳ, Huế and Quảng Ngãi. Here, six men who lost their war at home draw the year's biggest crowd of worshippers.

THE LARGEST HALL IN TOWN1895–1900

Eighty-Six Columns

Between 1895 and 1900 the hall grew to the footprint it still holds: 120 metres deep, 24 metres wide, 2,000 square metres in all, the largest of Hội An's five Chinese halls.

A close view of a ceramic-mosaic dragon and phoenix riding the curved roof ridge of the front hall, glazed green barrel tiles below, medallion end-tiles along the eave.Photograph 2010 · Jean-Pierre Dalbéra · Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 2.0
Roof-ridge detail: glazed tile and a ceramic-mosaic dragon

It also carries the most columns of any of the five, 86 in total, ahead of the Trung Hoa hall's 66 and well past the Quảng Triệu hall's 24, the fewest. The roof over its front hall is the most elaborately carved of the five. Yin-yang and fish-scale tile roof its open courtyard and main sanctuary, a covering none of the other halls in town use. The rest of the quarter's roofs use plain barrel tile.

A ceramic-and-glass mosaic dragon coiling over a small courtyard pond between the main and rear sanctuaries, a stone incense burner in front, red-lettered couplets on the wall behind.Photograph 2010 · Jean-Pierre Dalbéra · Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 2.0
The dragon pond between the main and rear sanctuaries, concrete under a ceramic mosaic

The hall's foundation also sits higher than the other four. When Hội An's floods rise through the old quarter each rainy season, they rarely reach the altar here.

THE BIG REBUILD1970–1974

A New Gate to the Street

The largest restoration ran from 1970 to 1974. Workers rebuilt the triple gate entirely, added a new reinforced-concrete gateway flush with Trần Phú street, repaved the courtyard, and built a plum-blossom-shaped pond with five carp spouting water at the front.

A weathered stone guardian lion on a carved pedestal at the hall's entrance, seen from below against a bright sky, a frangipani branch beside it.Photograph 2020 · Josh Ellis · goteamjosh.com
A stone guardian lion at the entrance

Above the new gate, seven short tiled roof tiers stack toward a small crowning gate of their own, flanked by figures of the sun god and the moon god. Between them sit four stone characters, Kim Sơn Tự, the temple's very first name, kept at the top of a gate built more than two centuries after the hall itself stopped using it.

The upper tier of the rebuilt gate, a vertical plaque reading Kim Sơn Tự set into red brickwork below layered green-tiled eaves, a red ball ornament hanging in the archway beneath it.Photograph 2020 · Josh Ellis · goteamjosh.com
The gate rebuilt in 1970–1974 still carries the temple's first name

A beam inside the rear hall carries a date in the Western calendar for once: 1975, the year the Fujian community together renovated the hall, a year after the restoration project's recorded end date. It most likely marks when the community dedicated the beam itself, not the whole span of the work.

WHAT REMAINSSINCE 1983

Three Hundred Years On

The hall was listed as a national historical and cultural relic in November 1989. It had already been drawing tens of thousands of visitors and researchers a year since 1983.

An altar case holding gilded seated goddess figures on an upper tier and a row of standing attendant figures below, several cradling infants, marigolds and offering cups on the table in front, a sign at the base reading in Vietnamese and Chinese characters for the goddess Kim Hoa Nương Nương.Photograph 2015 · RThiele · Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
The shrine to Kim Hoa Nương Nương, the three Bà Chúa Sanh Thai and the twelve Bà Mụ

The rear hall keeps one more shrine, to Kim Hoa Nương Nương and her attendants, the three Bà Chúa Sanh Thai and the twelve Bà Mụ, deities who oversee pregnancy and birth. People with no tie to the Fujian bang still come here. Vietnamese residents of the quarter among them light incense asking for a child, or turn to the wealth god Tài Bạch Tinh Quân's altar next to it asking for good trade.

Descendants of the bang have scattered since, some of them overseas, and still send money home for the hall's small repairs. Three hundred years after a statue supposedly drifted ashore on this stretch of river, the hall built over it still stands. Someone still calls it home.

FOLLOW THE THREAD
AN INVITATION

Does a relative who traded through, or emigrated from, Hội An's Fujian community still hold a photograph of the hall from before its 1970–1974 rebuilding? None has surfaced yet.

Know the full name behind the “Thirteenth Lord” among the six? Both sources this entry draws on stop at that title.

Send either to the Chronicles at [email protected].

Write to the Chronicles →